Sunday, March 11, 2007

Huh?

Here's my opinion of the communication breakdown in the adoption triad: stereotypes and generalities do nothing but further ignorance.

Here's a post that was made to a hot topic posted on Claude's blog:

Birth mothers resent adoptive mothers because they had the capability to raise a child they could not. Adoptive mothers are somewhat insecure of the birth mothers because they hold the biology. Adoptive mothers feel no difference between a bio child vs an adopted child, the love is the same and just as strong. That is THEIR child. Birth mothers want to remind everyone that they have a connection that they hold and someday may want to find and have a relationship with.

Where did this person get her information? Because I'm an adoptive mother I'm insecure and jealous of Elizabeth's firstmom because of their biological link? Is she an adoptive mother who feels this way? If so, I suggest she seek some kind of counseling. If, on the other hand, she's a "birthmother," which I highly doubt because of sheer ridiculousness of her generalities, then she's using a poor argument.

Has feathers and webbed feet? Yup, must be a duck. Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, must be a duck. Well, sometimes this doesn't work. Can't we all just stop making assumptions?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Some of the comments on Claud's blog lately are just absolutely insane.

Stereotypes, anyone?

Blech.